Monday, November 21, 2005

Make me A Break

I have had to
BREAK
Old ties
Lose touch
with previous fixtures
Steer clear
of echoing voices
from an indiscriminate time
Uproot and aim for relocation
of endangered pieces
that pieced me together
piecemeal.

I have had to
BREAK
With half-hearted satisfaction
of meals I didn’t ask for
And tricks I played
on my senses
Whims I traveled senseless
Crumbs I licked
whose beauty,
once invented,
now,
fades.

I have had to
BREAK
Out of the scrutinizing spotlight
that demands performance
of me,
That attempts even
to set the key
for songs I
must
sing.
They expect to see me drumming
Instead I play piano
While talking fighting words
of attack, submit
and retreat…

I have had to
BREAK
through
To let some air
in
To let some light
out
To take it all
A-part
To
piece
It all
Together

9 comments:

FashionedLouise said...

Damn Lulu, Hell of a piece!

Anonymous said...

Powerful writing! I like the taking of control the piece demands. :-) Thanks for sharng.

Anonymous said...

Being a typically selfish individual, I wonder if one of those broken ties refers to our disrupted connection? :-) I like the third stanza--it reminds me of what you wrote about in "A Hole in My Art." I hope it's all continuing to go well--let's talk soon.

Anonymous said...

LU..CINDA!!!
Are you Ok my dear, It's been a long time I do not hear from you!!!!
This writing is telling me many things. Hope you standing strong and that this words now out, let you be comfortable my smart and beautiful black woman.

Take Care Chica,, and b r e a t h e....
ohh and report once a while ,,u know. LOL**

Anonymous said...

Being Melancholy is just as healthy as being happy. It reminds you that you're alive.
Don't worry Lulu- it's all about lessons taught through transition.

Break a tie for spooky!

Prousette said...

lovely powerful post just remember not to break yourself.

Adrian said...

taking a break once in a while is good and necessary.

stay strong.

Kishawi said...

Thanks for all the great comments everyone!

All familiarities to situations and persons living or dead is purely coincidental (Ola!!)

Interestingly, the net result is more towards euphoria than melancholia, but I feel you spooky you sadist!

It may be that I may have to break myself… but only in order to reconstruct and with better materials.

In this context it's not so much about taking a break… that implies a temporary condition. And I think that's the problem so often. People realise they need to do things differently but soon get sucked into their old ways and so live out a viscious cycle of forgetting/neglecting/rejecting the truth that was so dear (and enlightening) to them at that one moment. So it's not about taking a break but making a break. Making that permanent closure to retarding ways.

Thanks again!

Anonymous said...

this is great i didnt think i would find something like this. that is very good.